We just came home from our first international trip with 3 kids. All moms know that flying anywhere with kids can get absolutely crazy, and our trip was no exception. Some highlights include ::
- Running through the airport at full speed in Denver. Remember that scene in “Home Alone 2” where the whole family is running to the gate? That was us.
- Paige choosing the perfect time to vomit – on me, holding her, as we were getting our passports stamped at US customs.
- Walking to our airport hotel at 10pm, lugging all our luggage, with Reese falling in the middle of an intersection. Then finding out THEY HAD A SHUTTLE.
So as you can see, traveling is SUPER FUN especially when you have a whole clan with you! There will always be bumps in the road and general chaos, so over time I have come up with a few strategies and must-haves to provide as smooth of a trip as possible. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, right? So here’s how I get going.
My essentials for survival ::
- Extra Outfit. For Everyone. Lesson learned two years ago when Reese vomited as we were landing and had to walk around baggage claim wearing Maddix’s puffer vest as a dress. Now I pack an outfit for everyone in my carry-on including one for myself. (See scenario above.)
- Designated snack pouches for each kid. If you have more than one child you know that fairness is the end-all-be-all. I packed an identical count of snacks (20 veggie sticks, 2 apple sauce pouches, and 4 pieces of candy) in each of these bags labeled with the kids’ names using our Namebubbles labels. I love these versatile pouches from The Container Store to stay organized, from holding chargers to toiletries and hair accessories. Our suitcases were filled with them in every size.
- Mom Kit. I thought of all the situations I would hear my name followed by a request (“Moooommm, I need _______”) and packed those things into a bag for myself and labeled it Mom Kit. Nausea medicine, hair ties, antibac wipes, Advil, tissues, chapstick, iPad charger, Neosporin and Band-Aids (see scenario above.)
- Lollipops. Sorry, pediatric dentistry. It just works on flights and in lines. I bet the girls would have loved Ring Pops but my parenting conscience felt better with organic ones from Whole Foods.
- Baby Jogger City Mini GT. Security makes you fold up the stroller, and this stroller is SO EASY to do with one hand while holding your child. This was a recent purchase and I wish I would have bought it sooner.
- Technology Free-For-All. My husband and I are sticklers for screen-time. We never allow phones at the table, we don’t have cable, and iPad time is limited daily, if they get it at all. However with travel the kids get ALL the screen time they want. I just want to know how my parents and those before us survived travel without technology. HOWWWW.
- Glamglow Thirstymud mask. The night before we leave and as soon as I get home, I put this mask on to hydrate my skin after all the flights.
- Luggage from Away. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I am OBSESSED with this luggage!!! They are so light and smooth that I was able to push the stroller AND one of the large ones at the same time. And having matching colors helped me when doing a quick visual to make sure we had all pieces with us. I mean, the pink just makes me happy.
ALSO. Did you know Southwest Airlines now serves champagne on board? JUST SAYING, moms.
Safe summer travels, everyone!